Musings of a perpetual ten-year old...
The shields look great and I like the palette you chose. The red, green and white look nice together.Looking forward to the dio!
Thanks, Anne. My Vikings are largely green and blue, so I needed something for my Anglo-Saxons to contrast.It's an interesting challenge with groups of Dark Ages figures to paint them with just enough uniformity to tie them together as a force, but with enough variety to keep them looking like the irregular fighters they are. =)
This comment has been removed by the author.
They look good. Good luck with the dip, that's one thing I haven't tackled much - out of fear. On the Arabs I used it on, it worked o.k., but my method needs more refinement. Post your technique, please!
K.C., I use about a 50/50 mix of black or walnut brown (or both) to clear Minwax Polyshades. To that, I add about half again as much odorless mineral spirits as a thinner.More clear should, in theory, make for a lighter dip.I'm still trying to refine the mixture. It was a bit thin this time, so I ended up "double dipping" the figures. The only issue with the dip is it makes figures look a bit muddy. For dark ages figures, or others that are mostly drab colors, this isn't a problem.Also, I paint my base coats and then also add highlights BEFORE dipping. I find the dip smooths all the colors out and makes the transitions less stark. After the dip dries, I spray it with Dullcote to get rid of the gloss finish.Once the Dullcote is dry, I go back and do a few touch ups where the dip was too thick, and also add some more silver, gold, etc to the metallic parts to get them to shine again.I'll post pics of the finished figures soon.
Coolness. If I ever get around to painting again, I've got some more Arabs who need a good dippin'.